- Install ScriptSafe: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/scriptsafe/oiigbmnaadbkfbmpbfijlflahbdbdgdf
- You will be asked if you want to enable syncing. Syncing will save your settings so it’s synced on other devices. You are free to click on Cancel, which will disable syncing.
- After this, you can start browsing the web!
- Let’s try to watch a YouTube video: go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_AbfPXTKms
- You’ll notice that the page seems to be broken. This means ScriptSafe is working! In the browser toolbar, click on the red deny icon and a panel will appear. This is where you’ll be going to to allow/block domains.
- Click on the green “Allow” button to allow youtube.com (or the “Temp.” button to temporarily allow it)
- The tab will refresh but the video still doesn’t play. Click on the now green checkmark icon and you’ll see s.ytimg.com is blocked. Click on the “Allow” button to whitelist it (or the “Temp.” button to temporarily allow it).
- The tab will refresh and the video should now start playing!
- Feel free to click on the “Options” link at the bottom of the panel to access ScriptSafe’s options page. More info on the Options page here.
The ScriptSafe Panel
You can access the panel by clicking on the ScriptSafe icon in your toolbar (which will vary based on the blocking status) (mentioned in step #5 above).
- Tab actions – found at the top of the panel
- Blocked/Allowed Resources – resources that were allowed/blocked by ScriptSafe from being loaded
- You can hover over each domain to see the type and full addresses of resources
- If default mode is “Block”: Allow All Blocked for Session – temporarily allow all blocked resources (if any)
- If default mode is “Allow”: Block All Allowed for Session – temporarily block all allowed resources (if any)
- Revoke Page Temp. Permissions – clear out all temporary permissions for the current tab
- Revoke All Temp. – clear out all temporary permissions for all tabs
At the bottom of the panel you can access the ScriptSafe Options page, documentation, and the Chrome Web Store link.
Tab Icon variations
- Red with a Deny icon – the domain is blacklisted or your current mode is Block and the tab domain is not included in any list
- Green with Checkmark – the domain is whitelisted or your current mode is Allow and the tab domain is not included in any list
- Blue with Exclamation Mark – either the tab domain or a resource loaded in the tab has been temporarily whitelisted/blocked
- Grey with Exclamation Mark – ScriptSafe has been disabled
- Allow – the current tab’s domain will be whitelisted (e.g. www.youtube.com)
- Trust – the current tab’s entire domain will be whitelisted, meaning all subdomains will also be whitelisted (e.g. trusting www.youtube.com will also allow a.sub.domain.youtube.com)
- Deny – the current tab’s domain will be blacklisted
- Distrust – the current tab’s entire domain will be blacklisted
- Temp. – if your current mode is Block (default), clicking on “Temp.” will temporarily allow domains for the current browsing session. If mode is Allow, it will temporarily block domains for the session.
- Clear – the domain is whitelisted/blacklisted and this will remove it
- If anything is temporarily allowed/blocked on a tab, the tab icon will always be a blue exclamation mark . This is not a bug; it’s to call your attention that something on that page has been temporarily allowed/blocked.