It’s a shame that the US Government (and affiliated companies, such as Google, Apple, Facebook, Microsoft, Skype) have been lying to us about our privacy. This post will go through some alternative services for increased privacy.
Below are sites/programs/apps that I’ve started to use more frequently after knowledge about the PRISM program came to light, which haven’t decreased my productivity.
While it may be hard to move away from Facebook, Google+ (well, maybe), and Gmail, it’s important to first know where you can move to.
- Web Browser – Mozilla Firefox
- Web Search – Startpage (adding Startpage to your browser) (DuckDuckGo is also good, but results from Startpage are much better)
- Anonymous Web Browsing – Tor Project
- Secure Web Browsing (Chrome/Firefox) – HTTPS Everywhere
- Privacy-Focused Browser Extensions – Fix Tracking! (recommends extensions such as Adblock Plus, Ghostery, DNTMe, Disconnect)
- Email Client – Thunderbird
- Email Service – Riseup Mail
- Secure Phone Calls (Android) – RedPhone
- Instant Messaging (Android) – Kontalk (similar to Whatsapp, but much more secure) and TextSecure (walkthrough)
- Instant Messaging (iOS) – ChatSecure
- Collaborative Spreadsheets – Ethercalc
- Blog – WordPress
For additional alternatives, please visit Prism-Break.org.